For those of you who already familiar to with windows, certainly still unfamiliar with the Linux. Especially the term Kali Linux. Usually, the noticeable difference between Windows and Linux is how it looks.
If the window looks like several menu options, but on Linux, it seems more unattractive, and most of the settings have to use commands. Suitable for those of you who want to learn to hack.
Kali Linux distro that aims to penetrate and test security on network systems. Kali Linux has approximately 600 tools in it with their respective functions. For more details, this article will discuss What Kali Linux History, Function, and How It Works.
Table of Contents
What is Kali Linux?
Kali Linux is a Debian based Linux operating system developed by Offensive Security;
this project developed with the core team:
- Mati Aharoni (Muts) co-founder of Offensive Security
- Devon Kearns (dookie) Offensive Security instructor, Co-Creator Metasploit unleashed
- Raphael Hertzog (buxy) developer and consultant Debian
Kali Linux is also known as a replacement operation system Backtrack is a Linux distribution created explicitly for penetration testing the security of a system.
And below are some popular tools that widely used that already exist in Kali Linux.
and many more.
In terms of appearance, Kali Linux has a simple and not too flashy appearance, and its use is quite easy, so it is perfect for Beginners to penetrate the network. Besides being on a PC, Kali Linux also makes ROMs on Android called Kali Nethunter, which have the same functionality.
Kali Linux expected to be more stable and robust than the previous generation, Backtrack. Full development by the development standards of Debian. The most recent release now is Kali Linux 2020.1a, which released on March 3, 2020.
Currently, Kali Linux has developed by open source and can certainly be obtained free of charge. You can make changes to Kali Linux to your liking; there are many more than 600 tools that need to be tested in Kali Linux.
An operating system that has a Linux base in terms of appearance is straightforward and inconspicuous, the use of entry into the natural category, thus perfect for beginners who want to do penetration on the network. Not only on PC, but Kali Linux can also create ROMs in the Android system known as Kali Nethunter, which has the same function.
History of Kali Linux
Linux itself means Unix clone, a kernel written by Linus Torvalds, and developed with the help of programmers and hackers from around the world.
Most of Unix Features already build in the Linux, like, multitasking, Common commands, tree-like filesystem, response load, C Shell, Bourne Shell, right memory managing, and TCP / IP enabled.
The features of the ‘real operating system’ class do not make Linux expensive. Instead, Linux can be obtained free of charge. Even, you can download Kali Linux distribution from the internet.
The GNU General Public License in under Linux is available. The license where the program proprietor has its copyrights, but other people may distribute, modify, or even resell the program, but on condition that the source code must include in the distribution.
Linux was first developed for PCs based on 386/486 and later also developed for other machines. Until now, Linux also runs on DEC Alpha, SUN, SPARC, M68000, MIPS, and PowerPC machines.
Kali Linux requirements:
Kali Linux Mini Version: 8GB of hard disk and minimum of 512MB RAM.
Kali Linux Full Version: 20GB of hard disk space, Minimum 1GB, recommended 2GB RAM, but believably, more space is needed for development tools, and data, so it takes around 50GB of HD space and 4-8GB of RAM.
As a modern operating system, Linux supports a lot of hardware on the market. Still, some are not recommended because of technical problems, or a group of volunteers are working on drivers. To check what device can run under Linux, please see hardware compatibility on Redhat.
Advantages of Kali Linux
Now, after knowing the meaning of Kali Linux, then you must know about the advantages of Kali Linux below:
- Security Streaming and package updates from the Debian repository
- Synchronize with the Debian repository four times a day, continuing to provide you with the latest package updates and security fixes available.
- Debian packaging files from each of the Kali Linux
- tools So the tools on Kali Linux can be used by other distributions that are still derived from Debian Linux, such as ParrotOS, BackBox, etc.
- Packaging / long-term packaging & often maintenance of bugs in the tools
- Can use many desktop environments such as KDE, LXDE, XFCE
- Ease of updating for the latest Linux version
- Long-term support for the long-term development of ARM Hardware
- Automatic Installation at Kali
- ISO & Boostraps Costume
And there are many others, but basically, Kali Linux is a distribution of version 6 of Backtrack, it’s just that it’s changed its name, so there will be advantages. Of these advantages, the most striking is the strong support of Debian, the ancestor of Kali Linux.
Lacks in Kali Linux
Kali Linux, in addition to all its conveniences because it is open source, also has shortcomings. Let’s see the following disadvantages of Kali Linux:
- The Kali Linux operating system is challenging to learn, especially those that do not have computer skills at all
- Not all applications that support kali Linux
- The appearance of the operating system is less attractive
- Not much support from specific hardware
Kali Linux Features
Linux features might have been on the Backtrack but have refined by the developer, the following features below.
- There are more than 600 penetration testing tools that have refined.
- Free Forever
- Open source git tree
- Following the FHS complaint
- Broad wireless device support
- Modify the patched kernel for injection
- Safe developer environment
- Have many languages
- Can be modified at will
- Supports ARMEL and ARMHF.
Kali Linux is the complete rebuilding of Backtrack Linux, on the Debian development standards. All-new infrastructure has put in one place, all tools have been reviewed and packaged, and we use Git for its VCS.
Kali Linux Revealed: (Free E-Book)
In 2017 July, “Kali Linux Revealed: Mastering the Penetration Testing Distribution,” the 1st version of the volume was launched. The book is dedicated to working on Kali Linux. The book, in English, can be bought on Amazon, it can be read online or free downloaded as a PDF file.
It’s worth mentioning right away that the book in question is not about how to research and hack systems, but about how to use the distribution kit. According to the authors, it intended for a wide range of readers. It will be suitable for beginners as a textbook, for more experienced users it will be possible to put knowledge in order, professionals will be able to find some useful details in it. It positioned as a guide to preparing for Kali Linux Certified Professional certification.
In our opinion, the primary audience of the book is newcomers who want to take the study of Debian, and, in particular, Kali Linux seriously. The book focused on practice; it includes 12 chapters; at the end of each chapter, there is a small section where the reader invited to perform the exercises. The complexity of the tasks, as you progress through the book, grows.
For example, in the second chapter, as an exercise, it is proposed to download the finished image, check it, create a Live flash drive, and boot from it. In the fifth chapter, you can find a course project on installing Kali on a Raspberry Pi 3 and setting up the device as a wireless access point. In the ninth chapter, they propose creating a custom Live-ISO that will allow Angela in this Mr. Robot to do his thing without touching the keyboard.
In addition to the primary material, chapters contain small insets, for example, on why pentesters usually look for files with the setuid attribute.
Here is a brief description of the chapters:
- About Kali Linux. In addition to historical information, it talked about the relationship of Kali Linux distribution with Debian, about why this distribution was created, about the scenarios of its use, about its capabilities and features.
- Let’s start with Kali. Here we are talking about where you can download a ready-made image of the system, which image to choose, how to check it, how to create a bootable DVD or flash drive to work with the system in live mode.
- Linux basics. Linux overview, command line, file system, useful commands.
- Install Kali Linux. System requirements, conventional and automatic installation, installation on ARM devices, problem-solving.
- Setting up Kali Linux. Here they talk about network settings, about managing users and groups, about setting up services and managing them.
- Getting help. Here they write about working with documentation, about the community, and about preparing bug reports.
- Protection and monitoring of Kali. This chapter deals with security policies, system protection, and logging and tracking.
- Debian package management. Here, the reader is introduced to the package manager and repositories about how to work with packages, including solving various problems that arise when installing and updating them.
- Extended use of the system. This chapter is about modifying Kali packages, recompiling the Linux kernel, and building your Live images.
- Kali Linux in the organization. Here we are talking about network installation of the system, about configuration management, about expanding and configuring Kali.
- Introduction to software security assessment. Here they talk about CIA models and about the use of Kali in assessing system security.
- Further perspectives. In this short chapter, the authors talk about what you can pay attention to after developing the Kali Linux distribution. For example, to study Metasploit. As one of the final projects, it is proposed to deploy the so-called Kali Linux ISO of Doom in the cloud.
Conclusion and Conclusion
Kali Linux is an operating system based on Debian Linux, which is quite easy to use by beginners. Kali Linux can be used by other distributions that are still derived from Debian Linux, such as Ubuntu, Blankon.
Kali Linux’s features are also diverse such as having more than 600 penetration testing tools, free of charge at any time, Open source git tree, following FHS complaints, to extensive wireless device support.
Well, for those of you who want to learn, hackers are strongly advised to know the definition of the functions of Kali Linux. Because usually every kernel from Kali Linux is very flexible and can adapt to other Linux derivatives.
The popularity of Kali Linux is also influenced by its promotion, which is in one of the TV series MR. ROBOT which uses Kali Linux as an OS to do Penetration Testing.